Looking for a new food to add to your diet? Try an avocado! NUTRITION FACTS: 1/5 of a medium avocado contains: 4.5 g healthy fat, 3.0 g carbs, 1 g fibre, 1 g of protein, 140 g potassium, 56 kcalories
Avocados contain over 15 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. These include Vitamins E and C, potassium, iron, lutein, and beta-carotene.
Lutein and beta-carotene are important in keeping our eyes healthy as we age. Mono- and poly-unsaturated fats also play a cardio-protective role and help prevent heart attacks and other heart diseases.
Some people like avocado plain, but it can be used to make tasty dressings and dips, replacing saturated fats like mayo and sour cream. Try some of the following recipes:
Emily’s Homemade Guacamole
– 2 ripe avocados
– juice from 1 lime (fresh is best)
– 1/2 c salsa
– 1 tsp each: ground cumin & chili powder
* optional: hot sauce
1. Cut avocados in half lengthwise. Remove pit with a spoon. Now scoop the flesh of the fruit into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth.
2. Add in all the other ingredients and mix together until everything is well blended.
3. Enjoy with some low-fat corn chips (Guiltless Gourmet in chili Lime flavour is my fav!) or chopped veggies.
* Optional: add 1/2 c of low-fat cottage cheese into you guacamole and mix with a food processor or blender (may need to add a little water if using the blender). Increases your protein 🙂 You can also add chicken, veggies, and low-fat cheese to your corn chips to make nachos.
High Protein Tuna Advocado Dip
– 1 ripe avocado
– 1 can tuna in water
– chopped peppers and onion
– 1 dill pickle, chopped
-1 tsp dill
1. Cut avocado in half lengthwise. Remove pit and scoop flesh into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth.
2. Drain water from tuna and place in bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients to bowl. Stir until everything is mixed nicely.
Enjoy this as a dip (like guacamole) or use it as a snack. This also makes a great sandwich or wrap filling – just add lettuce, tomato, and extra veggies to your whole wheat or multigrain wrap and you have a healthy meal to go!