I ADORE football and this weekend is the BIG GAME. Even if you aren’t rooting for Pittsburgh, you can still enjoy some delicious snacks without putting on extra weight. Here are some tips and healthy recipes to help you enjoy your Superbowl party on Sunday!
SLIM DOWN YOUR SUPERBOWL:
1. Go easy on the carbs. Carbs = energy. Watching football = sitting/storing energy. Alternative: have an intense workout a few hours before the game and your muscles will be begging you for carbs, meaning the food you eat will go into your muscle cells (to a point) instead of your fat tissue.
2. Choose the foods that you really enjoy. You don’t have to eat some of everything just because it’s there!
3. Focus on the game, not the food. After all, would you be eating 1000 extra calories if you weren’t watching the game?
4. Don’t starve all day! A lot of people think that by not eating anything all day they are “saving room” for later. In fact, you will eat more total calories if you do this because you are simply so hungry!! Have a normal breakfast and several high-protein snacks regularly throughout the day to keep your hunger at bay.
5. Don’t eat anything bigger than your head. The amount of food that your stomach likes is about the size of your 2 fists put together. Anything more than that stretches the stomach and makes you need to eat more to get full.
Spicy Chili Cheese Dip
This lighter take on a high fat snack lets you enjoy the big game without sacrificing your cheesy nachos! Serve with plain low-fat corn chips or spread a few handfuls of corn chips on a baking pan and cover with chopped onions, peppers, tomatoes, cooked lean ground beef or turkey, and a little bit of cheese. Broil in the oven for 4-5 min until the cheese melts and serve with your spicy dip!
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa (low sugar)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) can premade chilli (President’s Choice Blue Menu and Stag make good ones)
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons pitted sliced black olives (optional)
- Low-fat Tortilla chips (Try Guiltless Gourmet brand)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine cream cheese and salsa and spread in bottom of 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Spread chili over shredded cheese. Top with remaining shredded cheese, sliced green onions and olives.
- Bake for 15 minutes until mixture is thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 8 servings.
Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Sauce
Here’s a healthy option to get your chicken fix. Instead of downing greasy wings, try making chicken fingers using boneless, skinless chicken breast instead. You can make your own dipping sauces or purchase hot & spicy ones from the supermarket if honey mustard isn’t your style. Make lots because they are a crowd pleaser!
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- dash black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, beaten well (=1/4 cup from container)
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp spicy mustard
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place cornflakes in a blender and blend into flakes
- Pour into a shallow dish and add poultry seasoning and pepper. Stir and set aside
- In another shallow dish, combine egg whites and milk. Set aside
- Cut chicken into long thin strips.
- Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray
- Dip each strip into egg mixture and then into crumb mixture. Place onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 min or longer until cooked and delicious looking.
- Meanwhile, make your dipping sauce by combining the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve hot!