Looking for a fresh salad idea? Try this Greek-inspired watermelon salad! Olives are full of antioxidants and healthy fats, while watermelon is high in water & fiber, not to mention full of flavour. Summer weather may not be here just yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a head start on delicious summer dishes! Put away your crock pot and break out the salad bowl!
- 3/4 cup halved, thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 a large seeded watermelon cut into cubes (scoop out of watermelon & save the shell for your serving bowl)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted black olive halves
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the onion slices in a small bowl with the lime juice. The acid of the lime will mellow the flavor of the raw onion. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon cubes, feta cheese, black olives, onions with the lime juice, and mint. Drizzle olive oil over it all, and toss to blend. Dig in and be prepared for a pleasant surprise!
- Optional: serve the salad inside the hollowed out watermelon half for a natural and compost-friendly serving bowl 😀