If you love Mexican food, Cinco de Mayo may be one of your favorite holidays! Although some may use it as an excuse to down margaritas by the pitcher and gorge on Taco Bell, you can still enjoy delicious Mexican fare without going overboard. Here are some tips that might help you enjoy your festivities and still fit into your pants tomorrow:
- Hit the gym or do some sprints before dinner – your body will put some of your meal into your muscles rather than on your hips.
- Substitute low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt for full fat sour cream. It tastes the same and is way better for you as it is full of muscle-building protein.
- Skip the margarita and have a shot of tequila instead. Yep. I said it. The sugar in the margarita is just bad news, unless you can have just one and you worked out before dinner. A better choice than alcohol of course would be some refreshing water with a wedge of lime but that’s up to you.
- Make your own food using fresh ingredients. You can easily make everything you need to create your own tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and nachos at home. Some suggestions: whole grain wraps (or you can make them yourself if you are ambitious) lean ground beef, chicken breast, homemade salsas, guacamole, black beans, and fresh veggies. Don’t forget to pick up some hot sauce!
- Take your time when you eat. Mexican food is messy and delicious so people tend to scarf it down. Take your time and remember to chew. Since it takes about 20 minutes before you start feeling full, slowing down means you will probably eat less. Eating contests clearly not recommended 😉
- If you love Mexican food, eat it more often. Not every day, obviously, but every week or two. If it’s not off limits, you’re less likely to go crazy when you give yourself “permission” to have it.
- Have a dance party later. Crank up the Latin music, bust out that old sombrero hiding in your closet, and shake a tail feather. Alternatively, YouTube yourself a salsa dancing lesson and learn a few moves (or go to a salsa club if you live in a place with such things). You will have a wonderful time!
- Don’t get so drunk that you do a back flip off a picnic table and hit your leg on a barbeque. Bad idea.
Have a wonderful day and happy Cinco de Mayo!!