There’s no doubt that pasta dishes are delicious but unless you are burning lots of calories, too much pasta can lead to diasast’a. Why not try out this fantastic low-carb version of an Italian favourite and get your lasagna fix without all the extra carbs (unless of course you are a super-intense mega athlete or just finished a hardcore workout and need them). Full of vitamins and fibre, this is one dish you might want to make every week.
~Makes 8 servings~
- 5-6 big zucchinis, cut into long 1/8 inch strips to resemble thick lasagne-style noodles
- 1.25 lb lean ground turkey or 1 cup of TVP soaked in a scant 1cup of boiling water for 10 min
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh chopped peppers
- 2 cups fresh chopped cauliflower (or mushrooms if you prefer)
- 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1 (25 oz) jar of spaghetti sauce (watch the sugar content)
- 2 cloves of diced garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper, or to taste
- Optional: ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 (16 oz) container 1% cottage or ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Make the “Noodles”: This step allows the extra moisture from the zucchini to cook out first instead of making your lasagne into soup! Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place your zucchini “noodles” on it. Bake for 5 minutes on each side then remove from oven. Set aside and lower oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Make the meat sauce: In a large non-stick pan cook meat until it’s browned (this step not necessary for TVP option). Add veggies, seasonings, and tomato sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes on med-low heat, stirring occasionally. If you are using sunflower seeds, add them before taking the meat sauce off the burner. Set aside.
- Make the cheese layer: Mix cottage or ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese together with 1 egg. (Save mozzarella for the top).
- Layer it: Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Begin by spreading 1/3 of the meat sauce in the bottom of the pan. Next put down a layer of zucchini slices, followed by a layer of cottage cheese. Repeat the layers until casserole dish is full or you run out of ingredients.
- Finishing Touches: Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the top. Cover with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees for 60 min.
- Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is toasty brown. Take it out and let it cool 10 minutes before cutting into 8 big pieces. Serve warm & enjoy!