Love the taste of ice cream on a hot summer day? Bust out a homemade ice cream maker and make this delicious protein-packed treat. Unlike many store-bought brands, this homemade version is made without all the chemicals and is low in sugar. With only 125 awesome calories and zero fat per serving, this one’s a winner!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups fat free Greek Yogurt, (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 4 packets stevia (or 1 tbsp sweetener of choice, or to taste)
- Optional Topping: fat free whip cream
- Combine all of the ingredients (except for 1/2 of the strawberries) in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker (make sure you freeze the night before as per ice cream maker instructions). Let the ice cream churn for about 20-25 minutes, or until it thickens. Add the rest of the chopped strawberries in the last few minutes of churning. Scoop ice cream into individual dishes, and add toppings, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: For a firmer ice cream, put the mixture in the freezer for up to one hour after it is done in the ice cream maker. Careful not to leave it too long or you will end up with an ice block!
Option 2: Try It Another Way
Instead of pouring your mixture into an ice cream maker, fill up an ice cube tray. Cover the top of the tray with tin foil and carefully poke a popsicle stick in the centre of each compartment. Stick in the freezer for 4-5 hours and ta da! – you’ve got delicious mini popsicles to snack on throughout the day.