I love experimenting in the kitchen so today I made up a new recipe for some delicious chocolate peanut butter energy bars that are easy, nutritious, and very tasty. They are made from natural ingredients and give you lots of important micronutrients including Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, Thiamin, and Zinc – awesome!
If you are eating low carb, you can replace the oats with ground flax meal and the wheat flour with coconut or almond flour. You can also opt to use Stevia instead of honey. As a post-workout snack, you may want to lower the fat content by using cooked pumpkin or applesauce instead of peanut butter and substituting another dried fruit instead of walnut pieces.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to try it out:
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans, mashed or blended in a food processor (not a regular blender, as it will just get stuck in there!)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (smooth)
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar if you prefer)
- 1 small smooshy/ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, uncooked
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (or whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 (F)
- Put beans in a bowl and mash with a fork. Or, blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Add in banana and mash into beans (or mash banana in a small bowl and then add it to the big bowl, depending on your cooking style)
- Stir in the honey until mixed through
- Now add the peanut butter, mix through
- Next add in the oats and mix it all together
- Time to add in the cocoa and the flour
- Finally add in your raisins & walnuts and mix until texture is uniform throughout.
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread evenly along bottom of the pan
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes (check with a knife or toothpick to see if it’s done)
- Let cool 10 min before cutting into pieces (I like to cut it into 9, like a tic-tac-toe board!)
- Wrap it up in foil or store in a reusable container.