Recently while shopping for produce, I happened to spot a new addition to the pepper section at my local grocery store. Cherry bomb peppers are bright red medium-hot peppers, about 20% less hot than jalapeno peppers. They are full of antioxidants and lots of pep! Today’s recipe is brought to you by the color RED and Vitamin C. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cherry bomb peppers, roughly chopped
- 10-ounces of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 ounces cacao powder
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat
- Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic and spices, continuing to stir
- Next add diced tomatoes, peppers, broth, almond butter, and cocao
- Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, transfer to a bowl and let cool 10 minutes before placing in a food processor (NOT a blender – it will just get stuck down in there!) Puree mixture until smooth.
- Sear the chicken in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides – use more coconut oil if needed.
- Place chicken in crock-pot, pour pureed sauce over it and set on low for 6 hours
- About 5 hours in shred the chicken by pulling it apart with giant forks (careful, it’s hot!)
Note: If there is too muchliquid you can drain some of it (though some of us like it extra saucy). Serve with a side of veggies or on a whole grain bun like a pulled chicken sandwich. Yum!