This high protein vegetarian meal is sure to make you smile and keep your waistline trim. Eating less meat saves you money and also reduces your impact on the planet – it takes a serious amount of food, land, and water to raise a cow.
Many vegetarian meals indiscriminately use carbs and fats, a combination that can leave you with extra inches around your waistline. In this recipe, I substituted ground beef with veggie ground round and black beans, and potatoes with mashed cauliflower. I also threw in some chopped kale for good measure. The results? Delicious! This is totally my new favorite recipe.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked black beans (~1 can if you don’t rehydrate your own)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pkg Veggie Ground Round (you can also use TVP if you prefer)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- Wash and chop cauliflower. Place in a pot with boiling water and cook until it is very soft (~20-30min)
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add oil, onions, garlic, celery. Saute 2-3 min.
- Add chopped kale and mushrooms. Cook another 2-3 min.
- Add beans and veggie ground round (break it up with a spatula). Heat through and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Drain cauliflower. Mash with a fork or masher until smooth. Add cottage cheese and stir through. (For a smoother texture, you can also blend these together with a hand blender; also, to save doing more dishes, I complete this step in the pot).
- Lightly oil a 9 x 9 pan (I used a spring-form pan because our 9 x 9 pan was full of protein bars setting in the fridge).
- Pour frying pan mixture into the pan. Spread evenly.
- Pour cauliflower mixture on top. Spread evenly.
- Now bake at 350 degrees F for 30 min.
- Turn oven to broil and bake 2-3 min longer, keeping a watchful eye. This will crisp up the top and turn it a golden brown colour (that’s when you know it’s ready!)
- Let cool 5-10min. Cut and serve warm.
Hope you enjoy!