Now that I’m entering the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I am again showing signs of slowing down and being extremely tired. My blood work showed that I have low levels of B12 and iron so I started taking a few more supplements and trying to incorporate more spinach, clams, and red meat into my diet. This stuffed pepper recipe is one of my new fave’s – it’s full of calcium, iron, and all kinds of goodies for your cells! It’s also low carb and very delicious!
- 4 green peppers (try to get ones that are flat on the bottom and will stand up on their own)
- 4 white mushrooms
- 500g extra lean ground beef or ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 medium tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 250g of low fat ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees C.
- Steam spinach.
- Cook meat in a frying pan.
- Chop up onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Place these in a medium-sized bowl. Mix in ricotta cheese and spices.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and take out the seedy parts.
- Drain spinach and rinse with cool water. Chop it up and add to mixture.
- Place paper towel in another bowl. Place cooked beef on top. Use more paper towel on top to sop up the extra grease. Discard paper towel and add beef to filling. Mix through.
- Now line a baking pan with tin foil.
- Fill your peppers with the mixture and replace the lid (top of the pepper).
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until browned on top.
Let cool 10min and enjoy!
Optional: for cheese lovers, you can add a few tablespoons of grated mozzarella cheese on top of the mixture before replacing the top and sticking it in the oven. YUM~!