Spaghetti squash is a nutrient-dense alternative to pasta that can be used in so many lovely ways. This tasty recipe will add some kick to your weekly menu without packing on the pounds. Boost the protein content simply by adding some grilled chicken or tofu 🙂 Enjoy~!
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers,(about 1 1/2 cups) seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalepeno (about 2 jalepenos)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce, no-salt added variety
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. salt, plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cover the cut sides of the spaghetti squash with aluminum foil and bake until the flesh can easily be pierced with a fork, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the spicy sauce. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the soy margarine, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and jalepenos, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and salt. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and, using a fork, remove the strands of squash and transfer to a large bowl or serving dish.