I know potatoes have gotten a bad rap in some circles because they are starchy carbs and “make you fat” (not true!). Potato chips & french fries haven’t done the potato any favours either. Potatoes are a source of complex carbohydrates, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C (surprise!), to name a few awesome things in these delicious tubers. Potato salad is a definite summer favourite that is usually made with goops of high-cal mayo so I decided to give it a makeover. Hope you like my version of this summer classic!
- 3 medium potatoes or 10-12 baby potatoes (new, blue, etc.)
- 1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 red pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill (optional)
- 4 eggs (or 8 if you want to take out the yolks and make it leaner)
- Wash and cut potatoes (leave skin on if organic for higher nutrient content). Place in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let boil for 30-40 min or until soft. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Hard boil eggs. Set aside until cool.
- Chop cucumber & red pepper. Set aside.
- Mix yogurt, spices, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, & dill in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooled place them in a large bowl and mash with a masher or a fork. Peel eggs and chop them (remove all or some of yolks for lower fat version). Add to potato mixture. Add chopped pepper and cucumber, and yogurt/spice mix. Mix all ingredients together until totally mixed through.
- Chill and serve cold.